Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead

Movie flashback: Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead

I saw this movie the other day while flipping through the movie channels and remembered it from my childhood. This movie was released in 1991 so I'm sure I didn't see it right when it was released, but I have memories of it nonetheless. I had to watch it again.

The movie stars Christina Applegate and is about kids left at home for a few months with a babysitter-a babysitter that happens to die. Not nearly as morbid as it sounds (or as it should be which is odd) but the 5 kids left at home (while mom is in Australia) are forced to find a way to make money and get by on their own. Christina Applegate plays 17 year old Sue Ellen, who poses as a 28 year old at a fashion company to score a decent job to support the family. It is a silly/fun movie with the main challenge being kids trying to make it on their own (Home Alone-esque) and the eldest sibling trying to get by in the business world. There is also a little love story thrown in.

The early 1990s fashion was definitely funny to see and reminds me of the early Beverly Hills 90210 episodes (and now I want to rewatch that series).




















No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin